Wednesday, November 20, 2013

The Proof is in the Pie


Late one night last week I discovered the holy grail of pie bibles had just been released: The Four & Twenty Blackbirds Pie Book by sisters Emily and Melissa Elsen. I didn't even know it was in the works! Excitedly I told Micky about it the next morning. That it was the very same bakery based in Brooklyn that we loved so dearly. That it had the Salted Caramel Apple Pie recipe in it that he had gotten me for my birthday one year and I had later attempted to recreate to lackluster results. That we HAD to get it before Thanksgiving this year so that we could bake one of their incredible pies for dessert and get it right this time.  

He feigned interest while he went off to brush his teeth and I settled back into our bed to play with Graham as our morning routine began. A few minutes later I overheard some rustling in the other room and then Micky returned with the book in hand and said "Happy early birthday." Squeeeee! 

I have since poured over every page, reading up on what supplies we will need (pastry cutter, glass pie plates) and what techniques we must follow (cider vinegar and cold water in the all-butter crust), trying to narrow down what pies we'll be cooking up next week. The book is organized according to season, emphasizing their practice of only using the best local-if-possible ingredients to make the most flavorful desserts. I cannot wait to bake THEM ALL! 

Obviously Salted Caramel Apple Pie is at the top of the list. We've got to get 'er done. And while fruit-based sweets are my favorite (sorry, Grace), I'm thinking we should try out one of their custard pies perhaps. Because Thanksgiving isn't Thanksgiving without multiple desserts, am I right? Maple Buttermilk Custard Pie sounded good. But so did the Sour Cream Raisin variety. And then there's the Rosemary Honey Shoofly Pie! Wait. Salty Honey Pie?! Yes. I think that's The One. Jackpot. 


What desserts are you guys making for Turkey Day?


- Cathleen 


[image #1 from BrooklynBased.com; grainy image #2 from me]

1 comment:

  1. Oh dear- this is amazing. Wishlisting right now.

    WE do an amazing pumpkin pie from Fine Cooking (I don't know if I'll ever switch away from it) and the Deepest Dish Apple pie and Salted Rice Krispie Treats from Smitten Kitchen. Mmmmm. So tasty.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...