Monday, May 5, 2014

Artwork of the Week: My Library


My Library by Carine Brancowitz

Nothing makes you step back and assess your lot in life quite like a move. (Or an episode of Hoarders.) And by "lot" I mean "possessions" --- as in, we've got quite a lot of them. And by "them" I mean specifically "books" --- as in, why do we keep books at all? After you've read them, even if you absolutely loved the narrative, are you ever really going to read through it a second time? I know some people do, but I am not one of them. And yet! I'm saving (and moving) all of these books. For what? To pass onto my future literate children who will probably only skim stories on screens by then?

These are the thoughts that roll over me when I sit here walled in by heavy cartons. With, if I'm being honest here, no deep intention of changing my pack ratting ways. But I'm thinking about thinking about it. 

This drawing by French illustrator Carine Brancowitz made me think about it some more. She does very detailed and finely patterned work in ballpoint pen mostly. You can see more of her art on her website: www.carinebrancowitz.com


- Cathleen 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...