Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Drawing Parallels: John James Audubon & Walton Ford

I'm a huge fan of John James Audubon's work. I appreciate his adventurous personality and educative  spirit. But with the advent of photography, ease of travel, and globalization the concept of tracking down and then drawing in extreme detail each bird you discover seems unnecessary. It is possible for bird drawings to be fresh? 

John James Audubon

John James Audubon

I recently re-discovered the work of Walton Ford. His etchings, and gouache paintings are making a timeless yet archaic art form fresh again. 

via

via

via

via

This is just a sampling of Ford's work. Although he has a variety of bird-themed works he also does works of other animals, lions, tigers, gorillas....etc... He also makes large works that extend over several panels. 

So what is it? What makes his work fresh? I have a couple of theories but I'd love to hear some of your thoughts. Google his name, look through his other works and leave me a comment with your thoughts. 

- Grace




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...