Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Before the Dawn of the Apes



I have been posting a lot of short film on the blog of late so I apologize to those who don't care about such things or, like my wife, refuse to click on video links.  That being said- Here is another series of shorts that I absolutely love.
When Rise of the Planet of the Apes came out I thoroughly enjoyed the movie and was happy with the direction of the reboot.  Movie reboots can be just plain awful and Tim Burton's Planet of the Apes reboot was a prime example of this.  But this latest attempt has been infinitely better, and I think it's even better than the old movies (aside from the original Charlton Heston one).
I had been looking forward to Dawn of the Planet of the Apes but wasn't crazy excited until I stumbled onto these short films that were made by three different directors and meant to show what happens during the 10 years between the first and second movies.  They make the post apocalyptic world feel very real and involve the viewer on an emotional level during a time that would never have been depicted in the actual feature movies.  Then there was the latest Dawn trailer and that solidified my new found excitement.


Spread of the Simian Flu (Year 1)


Struggle to Survive (Year 5)


Story of the Gun (Year 10)- I think this one is my favorite.  Following one shotgun and it's different owners from before the epidemic all the way through to the beginning of the upcoming movie is genius.  It expertly depicts the passing of time as well as show the severity of the human situation in a mere 10 minutes.

-Brian

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...