Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Designing with Freedom in Mind.

My home was once featured on Apartment Therapy DC and in the interview I said I like the idea of designing with freedom being the inspiration. Upon reading the interview I realized what I said made no sense because I didn't expand on it and I came off as crazy. What I should have said is that I'm inspired by American symbols of freedom, such as red, white and blue, and eagles.

I think placing dramatic eagles in your interior is a way to reference freedom without hanging a flag above your sofa.

Here are some eagle items I think are especially beautiful and convey freedom without being over the top. 


This is a gorgeous 18th c. Italian carved and gilt eagle holding a placard. Available through the Kevin Stone gallery.

Here's an eagle made in the USA in the late 19th century. Carved and painted, this piece is dramatic and dynamic. Available through the Outsider Folk Art Gallery. 

A pair of eagle lamps via LUM. Price tag: $2,600.00 for the pair. Ouch! I can hear my wallet screaming from my purse. Still gorgeous and bold though.


One of my favorite eagle pieces I've come across, a French eagle podium placed in a Charles Faudree interior. 
Excuse the crude image, it's a scan from House Beautiful. But it is a piece that speaks for itself as a free-standing sculpture. 

Here's a piece that's comparable for sale:
That can be bought here.

And finally my FAVORITE eagle piece that I had to dig out of my "archives" (that's fancy for magazine clippings) to find the image. 
Another scanned image and I have no idea where I found it, but isn't it impressive? So dynamic. This piece would define any entry way. When I hit it big, I am going to find one of these for my own home.

-Grace

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...