Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Artwork of the Week: Wave

Wave by Bernard Pras

Yesterday was my dear dad's 69th birthday, so here I am thinking of him and all of the times he's taken me to the great museums to see their most famous works of art. Years ago I discovered dad has an affection for the Japanese woodblock print. Today I found a reboot of one of the most famous, Hokusai's The Great Wave off Kanagawa, in the form of a photograph by French installation artist Bernard Pras. Pras recreated the image below using a precise configuration of found objects and everyday detritus, then photographed the arrangement head on. From any other angle it just appears to be a random conglomeration of junk, though still interesting in it's own right (see below below). So today I celebrate the man who taught me how to appreciate art and see beauty from every perspective. Thanks, Dad. You're the greatest. 

The Great Wave off Kanagawa by Hokusai

Side view of Pras' Wave


- Cathleen 


[Images courtesy of the artist's website, www.bernardpras.fr, and Wikipedia

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...