Tuesday, June 12, 2012

We All Sing With the Same Voice


Talking about race and difference with children can be difficult. I know this from experience. I botched the first conversation I had with my daughter about the black family that lived in our building. 

I recently read the book Nurture Shock by Po Bronson and he touches on the issue of race. He says that parents stay silent with their children about difference in the hopes that they will be "colorblind." This doesn't work, Bronson states, and instead makes the topic off-limits and therefore loaded. 

Bronson suggests that when talking to your children about race you can say something along the lines of, "Yes, so and so does have black skin. But even though he/she may look different we're all the same on the inside."

Bronson's statement reminds me of one of my favorite Sesame Street songs. "We All Sing With the Same Voice" was from the early days of Sesame Street but its message still rings true. 



 - Grace

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...