Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Artwork of the Week: Long Braid


Long Braid by Diem Chau
porcelain plate, silk, thread, 6.25" in diameter

Tomorrow marks the second anniversary of Swings & Arrows! Hurray!! So I thought as our gift to you I'd find an Artwork of the Week to commemorate the occasion that blends the traditional (cotton) with the modern (china), something I think we strive to accomplish here daily. 

Artist Diem Chau embroiders drawings on a fine silk muslin that is stretched like canvas across various serving dishes. The effect is quite ethereal, an image floating just above the surface of a saucer or bowl. My favorite pieces are the ones where the line comes off the canvas, engaging the territory around the work, or when the thread pools in the space beneath the scrim.  

You can see more of Chau's work on her website: www.diemchau.com


- Cathleen 



1 comment:

  1. This is cool, but sometimes I get scared when I look at it. Like creepy movie scared.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...