Monday, September 24, 2012

Artwork of the Week: Relic


Relic is one of my newest sculptures, cobbled together just in time for open studios at the beginning of this month. It's actually something I wanted to make when I started grad school four years ago (yikes!), but it never quite fit with whatever theme I was working on. This piece was inspired by several ideas, namely the story of StThérèse the "Little Flower" of Lisieux, the spontaneous stigmata of Padre Pio, relics that hold a mystical power, and epidermodysplasia verruciformis, a skin disorder that manifests itself with a proliferation of hard, scaly growths on the hands and feet. I learned about that last bit watching this video of the Treeman on Youtube. Amazingly his nearly lifelong crippling affliction was cured with a simple regular dose of vitamin A. 




- Cathleen


2 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...