Monday, May 14, 2012

Mother's Day Blood Bath


In honor of Mother's Day yesterday I thought I would share the series of drawings I presented at my open studio exhibition this weekend, which also happened to be on Mother's Day, an unplanned but felicitous coincidence, I swear. Blood Bath is a collection of nine ink drawings of figures giving birth in water. I posted the first in this set a few weeks back, but thought I would share the rest now that the lot is complete. The images were created with red ink that bled through from the reverse side of the paper. I've always been fascinated by the idea of water births, the act of pulling your own child out of you, in a serene, calm environment that eases the transition from inside the womb to outside... the womb. Though, honestly, any way you slice it, I'm pretty much in awe of mothers everywhere.




- Cathleen 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...