Thursday, May 3, 2012

Drawing Parallels: Cartoon Edition

My favorite thing about my iPad is that I get the New Yorker digitally now. With the new digital edition the magazine includes a section called Cartoon Gallery and they include a few cartoons from years' earlier  issues. 

Although cartooning can be looked down upon in the art world as trite or commercial I think these two selections from this week's New Yorker are about as topical as it can get with art. 


The one above, from the most current issue of the New Yorker reads:
Nice, but as long as there are readers there will be scrolls. 


And this cartoon from November 11, 1939 reads:
"I'm terribly worried about Steve. His car came back without him."

I like these two cartoons because they both signal a change in technology and poke fun at nostalgia for nostalgia's sake.

- Grace


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...