Friday, February 3, 2012

Girl Groups


One of the best parts about my job is my coworker JP. He is fun and funny (not to mention a very hard worker!) and we often show up to the office inexplicably wearing the same color. One of the second best parts about my job is when JP and I listen to Fleetwood Mac, Mama Cass Elliot, and show tunes from Show Boat at full volume singing along and sometimes (ok, often) dancing to the music. JP has introduced me to some really great stuff since I started working with him, including what I currently consider to be the greatest hits of all time: The Girl Group Sounds: Lost & Found: One Kiss Can Lead to Another. He says he found this incredible 5 disc compilation in a secondhand CD and record store many years ago and that the original packaging resembled a lady's hatbox complete with a plastic mirror on the inside and each one of the CDs made to look like powder puffs in a compact. How cute is that?! These albums have pretty much been on permanent repeat for the last month or so. The melodramatics! The insane story lines! The beats that you can dance to! They are all pitch perfect. Lesley Gore has become, for me, a real standout among all of the other girls. Her voice and delivery make me sigh every time she bemoans her broken heart. One song in particular, What Am I Gonna Do:


And another that's not on the album but is also equally great and pitiful, I Struck A Match:  


You Gore, girl. 

- Cathleen 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...