Monday, January 14, 2013

What Do You See?


Have you ever had your fortune told? My mom and sister used to get their tarot cards read, and I once went to a palm reader in college who predicted my future for $20 then asked me for more money so she could perform a ceremony to ensure her prophecies came true. Needless to say, I declined her generous offer. Obviously no one knows what the future holds, but it's always fun to speculate. Especially when lottery tickets are involved. There's also something about coincidences that never fails to give me a curious pause. Tea leaf reading, or tasseography, is another foretelling device that involves deciphering the clumps, patterns, and pictures that form in your mug after a piping hot cup has been drunk (coffee grounds and wine sediments will also apparently do the trick). Seeing a candle can signify enlightenment, a dog represents a loyal friend or relative, flying birds mean good newsbut if it's a raven, it could mean death. And since tea leaves and coffee grounds and wine sediments are all dark, I don't know how you're supposed to tell the difference between those last two. Anthropologie has a Fortuitous Cup and Saucer by Molly Hatch for $78 that will hopefully help us figure this all out.




- Cathleen 

[Images courtesy of Anthropologie and Wikipedia]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...