Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Nesting in My Freezer


I'm officially in nest mode. All I want to do is hunker down and cook and organize our apartment in advance of the little one's big arrival. My plan is to make double batches of hearty meals once a week until I've tried them all and my freezer is full of delicious, fortifying food to defrost with one hand while juggling a wriggly baby with the other. Pinterest is helping me dream big. Here are the six meals on my menu:

Lasagna Soup from A Farm Girl's Dabbles


[Not Pictured]
Mom's Meatloaf and Mashed Potatoes from my mom


Karen's Zucchini Bread from Micky's mom 
+ the added high fiber ingredients from a Whole Food's recipe


Mac & Cheese with Spinach (Instead of Kale) & Bacon from Good Life Eats


French Beef Stew with Red Wine from Katie at the Kitchen Door


Mushroom Soup from Season with Spice


I wanted a bunch of comfort foods with healthy ingredients that would do a recent-birth-giving body good. Lots of whole grains, protein, dairy, leafy greens, and fruits and vegetables are all important for that. I'll be sure to share my mom's meatloaf recipe when the time comes, along with Micky's mom's zucchini bread (if she'll let me give up her secrets), plus a review of how the rest of them turn out, including which dishes freeze/reheat the best. Yes, a follow-up will be forthcoming! 


- Cathleen 


[Images courtesy of merchantcircle.com, A Farm Girl's DabblesWhole FoodsGood Life EatsKatie at the Kitchen Door, and Season with Spice]

1 comment:

  1. I started reading this, thinking Grace was writing and I couldn't believe she was pregnant. I saw her not to long ago and I thought, "Dang, Grace! You must hide pregnancy like some sort of crazy ninja!" Anyway, congrats. I've never met you, but I like your blog and those recipes. I'm not nesting, but I may have to make them anyway, especially the Kale and bacon mac & cheese. And the mushroom soup!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...