Friday, November 2, 2012

First Aid


Hurricane Sandy hit the eastern seaboard earlier this week and devastated much of nearby New Jersey and New York. I've only experienced most of what's happened through the constant newsfeed on NY1 and the frequent Facebook updates from friends who have ventured out of their apartments to survey the damage in their neighborhoods. Work for me was cancelled this entire week because of the black out in lower Manhattan where my office stands, so I haven't left my apartment in four days except to visit the grocery store where the produce and bread shelves were largely bare. Micky was called into work today and what normally would have taken him 40 minutes door-to-door took over 2 hours both ways. Where my dad lives in Long Island they have estimated they'll be without electricity for two weeks. And I know we are the lucky ones. So many people were affected, their homes and belongings destroyed, leaving many of them without shelter, warm clothes, food, and water. It's completely surreal to have this happening so close to us, and I'm totally shocked at the extent of the loss. Many people have volunteered at shelters throughout the area, but what I have heard they need most are donations: food, water, clothes, and financial aid. If you can give anything to help the cause, please donate to the American Red Cross Disaster Relief Fund here. My thoughts and prayers are with all of those who have been affected. 


- Cathleen 


[Image courtesy of reverie collectibles]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...