Thursday, December 8, 2011

Hearst Castle

A girl in my class on Monday presented on Hearst Castle, pictured below. I was half paying attention until she showed a photo of the indoor pool.




Yep, that's the indoor pool. There's an outdoor pool too, but I think this one is more interesting. Completely covered in 1" tile from ceiling to floor, this pool took seven years to complete! 

Here are some quick facts about the Indoor Pool from the Hearst Castle Website:

- Decorated with 8 contemporary statues of Roman gods.
- Pool is styled after ancient Roman baths.
- Pool was heated. 
- The 1" glass tiles are called smalti, and are colored or clear with fused gold inside.
- The design of the tile was developed by muralist Camille Solon.

The castle was built by woman architect Julia Morgan starting in 1919 and was not finished until 1947. I strongly urge you to explore the website here.

Next time I go to California, I am definitely making a trip to peruse the grounds of Hearst Castle.

Enjoy!

-Grace

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...