Friday, September 6, 2013

I’d Really Like to Eat a Child

I’d say that I spend a significant portion of my day reading books to my small people and it can get a little repetitive. The requests don’t vary too much from day to day and attempts to change things up are not always received well. (I do understand that 
repetition is really important for little growing minds, but STILL.)

So, new children’s literature that is interesting for my children and enjoyable for me falls squarely into the 
“Blessing from Heaven” category.

Here are my two current hilarious favorites:




“I’d Really Like to Eat a Child” is by the French author Sylviane Donnio about a little crocodile named Achilles who decides that he’s sick of bananas and wants to eat a child. The ending is fantastic and truly French in its lack of a pat resolution.

"This is Not My Hat” by Jon Klassen was a given to us by a friend and we read it almost every day. The protagonist is a small fish that has stolen a hat and he tells of his plans to keep it. The illustrations that accompany the narration are perfect and the ambiguous ending is a moral lesson in and of itself.

I seriously recommend these books. They have both become staples of our reading day even though we don’t own “I’d Really Like to Eat a Child” (we constantly have it on loan from the library). Check them out and add a little dark humor to your day.

Happy Weekend, Friends!
-Alissa

PS For the record, I’d really like to have a son named Achilles.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...